DIY Dry Erase Board




I recently came across a 'Make your own art journal banner' on pinterest and I really liked the idea of a banner. I have also been learning to make watercolor backgrounds so, I wanted to put the two together and make something else...A dry erase board! 

People generally make dry erase boards with glass and frames. I decided to do it a little differently and therefore decided to use plastic sandwich bag instead of the glass and make my own banner frame out of cardboard. 

I used, 
- Cardboard - 2 Pieces - 24 x 13.8 cm 
- A transparent sandwich bag
- Few sheets of plain white paper
- Watercolor
- Stapler 
- Glue
- A metal chain

And this is how I made it...
  • On a plain white paper I painted a water color background of my choice. You can see how to paint it here.
  • Cut open the sandwich bag and cut a 24 x 13.8 cm rectangular section from it.
  • After the paint had dried, I cut the painted background also to the 24 x 13.8 cm rectangle. 
  • I cut out one of the cardboard into the desired shape for the banner and also hollowed it out to form the frame. 
  •  Then, I stacked the cardboard, background and the sandwich bag in the order shown in the picture below.
  • I cut the sandwich paper, the background and the other cardboard piece also to the same outline shape as the frame. 
  • After all the  pieces have been cut and aligned, I stapled them together. 
  • I covered the front of the frame with white paper and punched two holes on the top of the chain. 

And here is the finished product...


Do leave your comments, questions or suggestions! :)


2 comments:

Love the idea. I like that it doesn't cost much and when it gets shabby I can THROW IT OUT. Or change the background using fabric, photos. How fun to put a picture of someone and draw a mustache on them! Great idea as a place card for wedding, holidays, etc. It can be really big if you use the plastic left over from putting the plastic on the windows in winter! Thanks.

Thanks for you comment Peacemeal!
I like this idea for the exact same reasons too. It is so versatile. You can even put a plastic sheet straight away on a wall and frame it with some tape...you will have a dry erase of any size instantly!

Post a Comment

Do leave your comments, questions or suggestions! :)

 
Google+